Re: Changing display mode in X

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I spent several hours last night looking through the various docs I have
> on X, looking for a remembered reference to the key strokes necessary for
> changing the display mode while in X. I was unable to find the reference.
> I did find hints that the default mode could be changed but can't figure
> out how to do that either. So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. What are the key strokes for changing graphics mode while in X.

[Alt]+[Ctrl]+[+] and [Alt]+[Ctrl]+[-] on the numeric keypad will change
the resolution of the server.

> 2. What changes does config need to run a different mode at startup.

The XF86Config sets the available resolutions and colors. You can eliminate
the resolutions you don't use, X will start with the lowest. There may
also be a startx command line switch as there is for color depth. I think
you can 'man' on X.
Don Gaffney (http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~gaffney)
Engineering, Mathematics & Business Administration Computer Facility
University of Vermont - 237 Votey Building - Burlington, VT  05405
(802) 656-8490 - Fax: (802) 656-8802