Re: Must pppd be run by root?

Craig Sanders said:
> On Tue, 14 May 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:
> > Can we make that "dialout", please? Something already present and used
> > by (at least) dip and efax.
>
> I suppose that would do the job, but what if a sysadmin wants to allow users
> to dial in using ppp, but NOT allow them to dialout with minicom or send
> faxes?

The tty's owner gets changed when someone logs in. The owner of the tty (who
is the person logged in) can then execute pppd to start ppp. No problem. This
is the setup I use (mgetty and pppd) to allow dial-in users to use ppp, with
no dial-out access.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"Just think, IBM and DEC in the same room, and we did it."
   - Ken Thompson, quoted by Dennis Ritchie