Re: beta 1.1 problems with 3c503 and the debian search system.

>no problems using the 3c503. All I had to do was to list the driver in
>/etc/modules. Also, when you try to load the driver by hand, make sure
>you use modprobe, not insmod, as the 3c503 is layered on top of
>another module. And make sure you run depmod at least once - the new
>/etc/init.d/modules doesn't run this every time you boot (unless you
>uncomment the relevent lines).

I finally figured some of this out on my own.  There were several
other modules that I needed (isofs, nfs, lp, etc.. as in 0.93R6).

In general, I think the beta 1.1 installation lacks severely in this
regard.  There is an item on the menu to add the modules.  However, it
does not run correctly and gives a ton of error messages saying it
cannot find the /etc/modules file (when it is there!), and will not
allow the installation to continue.  This is why I never had the
opportunity to tell the installation procedure what modules to load (I
discovered this after I fixed the problem and was wondering if I
missed something along the way.  It seems the 'recommended' next step
at the top of the 1.1 installation never recommends to add the
modules!!!).

I hope this gets fixed before official release of 1.1.

| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: fea@ornl.gov | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |