Re: making sendmail not use DNS (Was: Re: diald)

Yves Arrouye said:
> I have them already for a long time. Sendmail still does DNS queries,
> for example to try to contact my smarthost. I could try to put just this
> one in /etc/hosts but I'm not sure it will suffice (I'll tell if it
> does).

I assume you are not using uucp, then. Try specifying the smart-host at it's
IP address like so:

define(`SMART_HOST', smtp:[123.456.789.12])

or

define(`SMART_HOST', smtp:[123.456.789.12.])

The [ ] are supposed to tell sendmail to *not* resolve the address, and use it
as specified. The second variation (with the trailing dot) probably isn't
necessary and may not even work.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the
   system works."
   - ???