Re: diald (Was: Re: Must pppd be run by root?)

I think this was meant to be sent to the mailing list.

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Yves Arrouye <arrouye@marin.fdn.fr>
To: richard@elmail.co.uk (Richard Kettlewell)
Subject: Re: diald (Was: Re: Must pppd be run by root?)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 00:17:42 +0200

Richard Kettlewell writes:
 > The diald package removes all the hassle of starting and shutting down
 > network connections over a transient link, incidentally - you might
 > like to investuigate that.

Is there a debianized version of diald 0.14 out there? (ELF). With the
dctrl tk tool, too! (I can email it to the one making the package if
needed).

Also, do someone know how to ask sendmail really not to make DNS queries?
This is somewhat that starts up diald when one does not want, and it is
really annoying.

A last question for you diald gurus: I used diald and after having asked
it to close the connection (using its control fifo) I still can see
monitored packets associated with a time to close the link. Anybody knows
why? I don't use ftp, http or anything after having asked to close...

Yves.