Re: Printing to Windoze Printer on Local MS Network?

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> Hi.  I've got a new 1.1 machine which is on a local network which
> includes a Win '95 printserver with no IP address.  Does anyone
> know how to set up printing to such a machine?  Will samba allow
> printing to a machine with no IP address?

The Win95 box must be using the TCP/IP protocol for it to interact
with SAMBA. TCP/IP requires an IP address, although this address may
be assigned by a DHCP (like bootp) server.

SAMBA can do a broadcast on the local net to find a NetBios name, so
smbclient (the app which you will use to connect to the Win95 machine)
*may* be able to find it even if its address is dynamically allocated.

If you can get a static address for the Win95 box then it will work
without question.
Don Gaffney (http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~gaffney)
Engineering, Mathematics & Business Administration Computer Facility
University of Vermont - 237 Votey Building - Burlington, VT  05405
(802) 656-8490 - Fax: (802) 656-8802