Re: Verifying that download was successful?

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> I am downloading debian 1.1 beta using ftp.  I want to check that
> the files have been downloaded correctly.  One way of doing it would
> be to manually do a md5sum on each file and check it against the
> "Packages" file, but this would take a long time.  Is there a quicker
> way of doing it?

The file '/debian/indices/md5sums.gz' has md5sums of the entire
hierarchy.  Assuming you preserved the directory structure, just do
'md5sum -c md5sums' (after gunzipping the above file obviously).  You'll
be informed of missing and corrupted files.

See md5sum(1) for more details.

Guy