error make-ing kernel 1.2.13

Hello -

I was trying my first kernel compile, making one with built-in ELF
support in preparation for the 1.1 upgrade.  All my tools (& whole
system) were from the debian-0.93 directory at the tsx-11 mirror, as of
the last few weeks; running gcc-2.6.3-5.deb on source-1.2.13-7.deb.  Let
me know if I should give more package version information; it seemed I
had everything I needed, all dependencies satisfied to run the above.
The one irregularity: I first installed the includes.deb package, then
later ran 'dpkg --purge includes' before installing source.deb.
Appeared to go ok.  Hardware is Compaq Presario 4DX33, only 4M RAM,
installed via ftp & floppy.

So here's my problem: the 'make dep,' and then the 'make zImage' failed,
citing the 'bsd_comp.h' library, and saying it could only be made as a
module.  I don't believe I answered about that package in 'make config,'
and I wanted to ask here before trying all again.  More detail:

First, following the Kernel-HOWTO, I think, I did a 'make mrproper.'
Then the make config; chose to include networking, & slip but no e-net
cards, took the standard tcp/ip options but not the fancy ones,
gatewaying masqerading et.al.  (If I should have just done this all
again to see my error, sorry.)  Then a 'make dep;' it did give an error
about 'bsd_comp,' and perhaps it stopped early right there, but I wasn't
prompted about this by the documents I had and decided to go ahead
anyway.  'Make clean' appeared to go ok; I don't have all the diagnostic
output, but here's what 'make zImage' then said when it stopped:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include -E -I../../net/inet -M
Space.c			<- this line wrapped for mail
auto_irq.c net_init.c loopback.c ppp.c bsd_comp.c slip.c slhc.c >
.depend			<- ditto
bsd_comp.c:56: #error This file must be compiled as a module.
make[2]: *** [dep] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/drivers/net'
make[1]: *** [dep] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/drivers'
make: *** [depend] Error 2

I can go look in those ^^ directories, and try and pull out references
in the makefile there, but wouldn't know just what I was doing.  I
looked at the bug-list archives & didn't see anything there, but having
a small system stricly made of deb packages, I'm surprised having a
non-standard problem.  Maybe it's just something I did; any help
appreciated.  Tried to include what info I could, let me know if I need
more, but this one's long enough now as it is.  Thanks,

--

Ed Donovan			edonovan@world.std.com