Re: gs shouldn't depend on svgalib

> The gs package is compiled to use svgalib and X. This is a nuisance, I
> had to install svgalib only for gs. I propose to split it in one for
> svgalib only and another for X only.
> Carlos
I'm sorry, but this is the way it has been decided to do it for all
packages that could use more libs: simply make them decide on all
libs. This makes installation much easier, while not adding too much
disk space. Splitting gs in two would create 4 .deb files (2 for
gs-2.62, 2 for gs-3.53). I'd rather answer about 2 emails/half year
about gs depending on both svgalib and X than having to explain what
4 gs packages is good for.

Apart from that, it would be better do use ELF dynamic loading for
this purpose: that way you can have one executable, that decides at
run-time what libraries to use. But this uses up quite a lot
of maintainers-time.

Oh, and appart from that:

rulcmc:/usr/bin$ du gs-papersize
1067    gs-papersize
rulcmc:/usr/bin$ du /usr/lib/libvga*
224     /usr/lib/libvga.a
0       /usr/lib/libvga.config
0       /usr/lib/libvga.et4000
0       /usr/lib/libvga.so
0       /usr/lib/libvga.so.1
152     /usr/lib/libvga.so.1.2.8
57      /usr/lib/libvgagl.a
0       /usr/lib/libvgagl.so
0       /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1
47      /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1.2.8

So, adding an EXTRA gs-binary (if you want to install two binaries) will
ADD very much disk usage, for the gain of only very little if you
don't want svga.

joost witteveen
Use Debian Linux!