Re: Mirrors et al.

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Christian Hudon wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 1996 LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > One irritating feature of dselect as it is at the moment is this:
> > if I start dselect and add only one or two packages, it prints
> > the entire list of packages on my screen, one by one, along with
> > the 'skipping deselected package foo', or 'package bar is already
> > installed' messages.  I would like to see these messages omitted, at
> > least by default.
>
> Having dselect going through all the packages even when you're adding
> one or two is especially annoying when you're getting Debian from a
> CD-ROM. Because then it takes something like 2-3 mins even if you're
> adding only one package. That's basically what made me stop using
> dselect.

I use dpkg for upgrading individual packages, and i use dselect to do a
bulk update of everything.  dselect does a reasonable job of automating
lots of dpkg commands, as long as you take the time to give it proper
instructions...IMO, it's only worth the effort of navigating dselect's
user interface if you want to upgrade several dozen packages.  Just set
it up and come back in half an hour to answer the config questions.

Craig