Re: smail 3.1.29.1-22 append_header="..." problem

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Scott Barker:
> > You might want to consider saving some of the junkmail (perhaps
> > a database holding about 5Meg worth of junkmail), and send each
> > spammer a copy of each o f those junk mails, just so they know
> > how it feels :) Preface each one with "Gee, your junk mail was
> > really boring. Perhaps you could take some hints fro m this
> > one..." That would also make it *very* hard for the spammer to
> > ignore bounced-back mail.
>
> Don't do that.  Mail bombing is worse than junk mail.

yeah, i tend to agree.  Which is why i decided not to send core dumps
etc, and only to return the original message back to the evil junkmail
perpetrator (several times :-).

I'm still vaguely tempted by the mail-bomb lottery idea, though. a 1 in
100 chance of getting a useless binary file attached to the returned
junkmail. hmmm...anyone know of any mime type for compressed text?
hopefully one which gets automatically decompressed by the users MUA.
I can see useful potential in 'dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1024 |
script', where 'script' creates a compressed text mime attachment :-)

achieves maximum inconvenience for the spammer, without wasting bandwidth
or causing problems for innocent users on the same system.

Craig