status of dftp and dpkg-ftp

What's the current status of dftp and dpkg-ftp? Are either of them "official"
debain tools? I'm looking for easier ways to upgrade my system than by
mirroring the whole debian tree. (I just tried dftp-1.4 and had some trouble
with the 'select' function -- the file produced for editing had a couple of
bad entries, such as dosemu being listed twice, with the descriptions for
ytalk and dosemu concatenated together after each of the listings).

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the
   parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you
   can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not
   use a hammer."
   - IBM maintenance manual