Re: smail 3.1.29.1-22 append_header="..." problem

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, eckes wrote:
>
> Speaking of junk e-mail, I did some more work on my junkmail daemon
> today. junkmail is an autoresponder I wrote to "deal with" the
> ever-increasing amount of unsolicited commercial email I receive every
> day.  Instead of getting angry and writing a very nasty reply (usually
> starting off with F*** Off & Die), I just bounce it to user junkmail on
> my system, delete it and forget about it.
>
> junkmail extracts relevant headers, and writes the message (along with a
> little note explaining how evil junkmail is) into a job queue.

Good thing!  I'd really like to have that.

> A cron job running as junkmail iterates through the queue and returns a
> copy of the junk back to the evil perpetrator once every hour.  Each job
> gets 100 runs before being automatically deleted.
>
> The new version now keeps a database of all From addresses and Subject
> lines, and randomly selects one of each every time it sends out a
> message.  It then fakes the From address and uses the random subject
> line to make it more difficult for email spammers to automatically
> filter out the return.  Hopefully it will also start interesting dialogs
> between the various spammers :-).
>
> I've even got a junkq command to list the current job queue :-)
>
> $ junkq
> 1795-830741827 "Have you seen. . ." to Isabel <104275.2012@compuserve.com> (60 left)

Have you provided a way to somewhat soften this punishing behavior?  I
would be punished myself if I suddenly start sending such a lot of e-mail
messages!

> Anyone out there interested in this?  If there's enough interest, I may
> get it into shape for release as a debian package.  It requires creation
> of an account called junkmail.  The new version also requires junkmail
> to be listed as a trusted user (so it can fake the from address) in the
> smail config file.

Sure.  I'll pick up a copy as soon as you release it.

Regards,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co