removal of anachronistic packages from dpkg status files

Package: dpkg
Version 1.1.5

I don't know if this is really a bug or not but here goes.  When I use
dselect to install a brand new 1.1 system using the boot floopies, there
are several packages which appear in the base installation (last, chfn,
miscutils) which are no longer in the 1.1 tree.  In this case, they have
been replaced by a series of different packages (utils-linux, passwd,
login, etc).  While dpkg knows that the new packages are replacing the
old packages, it does not uninstall all of them (particularly miscutils)
but more importantly, if I forcibly purge them, they remain in the dpkg
database, even though new veresions of the Packages files do not contain
them.

The result is that when I enter dselect, there are a bunch of
anachronistic packages which are still listed and it is only when I use
the "i" option that I see that there is no file available for the
package.  This could cause serious problems for an inexperienced
installer.  I was able to remove the references by manually editing out
the packages from the "available" and "status" files (and their backups!)
in the /var/lib/dpkg directory.

It is not such a big deal if you know what is going on, however it will
become MUCH more serious when someone tires to upgrade a 0.93 system.
Many of the packages have changed names or have been split up and only a
very careful user will immediately figure out the difference between all
of the ncurses packages (-bin -base -runtime ...) or the xserver-s3 and
xs3 packages.  Not to mention that traces of old packages will remain
forever in the database to provide additional confusion when the selected
package is not found.

Thanks for putting up with this long-winded discussion,

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.acc.iit.edu                      *