Re: The PPP woes ..:)

Hi,

    kaneda> I recently donloaded the debian PPP package, installed (thanks to some
    kaneda> help from this list :) and now i want to configure it, but there is no
    kaneda> manual entry .... ?
    kaneda>

There should be plenty of documentation in /usr/doc/ppp. There is also
the pppd man page. Tehre is a HOWTO in the HOWTO package as well.

    kaneda> i basically want to be able to dial into my debian machine here at work
    kaneda> from my machine at home using PPP
    kaneda>

What release of debian are you running?

(The 0.93R6 ppp package is a little primitive, the Development version
is a little cleaner)

Do you have any other interfaces installed? Do you have the networking
packages installed.

Basically you need to configure the ppp daemon via the cmd line or
using the /etc/ppp/options file. If you are using a modem then you
also need to write  a chatscript to connect the modem up to ppp
provider. Many uses use/rewrite the ppp-on script to bring their links
up and down.

If you have no joy the you can write to me privately, I doubt whether
the list really want to know all the gory details.

:)

alvar  ([Not so] humble ppp package maintainer)

--
Alvar Bray

Meiko Limited      Phone: +44 1454 855222   E-Mail: alvar@meiko.co.uk
650 Aztec West     Fax:   +44 1454 855223           alvar@netcity.co.uk