Re: IMPORTANT: Fix for bad permissions on 1.1 boot floppies

In your email to me, Bruce Perens, you wrote:

> If you've installed your system from the 1.1 boot floppies generated before
> this date, there are permissions problems with the files that would cause
> extreme security problems. You can tell if you have the problem if any
> of the files mentioned in the following script have public-write permission
> on your system.
>
> The following shell script, run as root, will fix the problems.
> However, _Never_ run something as root just because someone's told you
> to do so - examine it and make sure you know what it is supposed to do,
> and why. This script should be easy enough to figure out.

[clip]

The only thing that SCO did right on it's products (*my* opinion)
was their 'fixperms' system. Each package had a list of files, which
also had the owner/group and the file perms with it, so if you totally
screwed your perms (maybe from an errant chmod -R, not that *I* ever
did that :) ), you should just do (if I remember right)
'fixperm package' and it would run and fix stuff. Maybe something like
this could be built, maybe into dpkg/dselect? Or I just may take the
time to whip something up in perl...

Tim

--
		       sailer@sun10.sep.bnl.gov
        "A desk is a dangerous place from wich to view the world."