Re: Hardware advice: seeking echoes of running Linux-PC clusters

[Show this to the people in your company who don't like Linux]

I work on SGI and Sun systems all day as an operating systems and image
processing programmer at Pixar, the animation studio that made "Toy
Story". Pixar is a literal toy store of computer power - the
workstations are the best, and there is tremendous computing power
available because we have to render full-length films. I've been there
for 10 years.

I find myself wishing that my systems at Pixar ran Debian Linux,
because the software on my Debian systems is easier to maintain, has
fewer bugs and more features, and I have all of the source code at
hand. I am somewhat prejudiced in that I am intensely involved in the
Debian development, but on the other hand I have worked hard to make
Debian the kind of system that would be desirable to a programmer like
me.

Debian's already being used at Brookhaven National Labs, and is the
host for software development for a component of the Amsat "Phase III"
satellite. There are other users just as impressive, but I don't have
the space to list them all.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens