Re: VI insert problems

In article <[🔎] m0uCRla-0007wfC@artemis.chu.cam.ac.uk>,
Neil Turton <ndt1001@chu.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>Craig Sanders <cas@muffin.pronet.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>>
>> > While in insert mode, vi will not let the cursor move to the beginning
>> > of the line (you can get to within one character).
>> > If you Esc insert mode, move to the beginning of the line and enter
>> > insert mode things work fine.
>> > Is this restriction from the first character a feature? If so what
>> > purpose does it serve?
>>
>> which vi?  elvis, vim, or nvi?
>>
>> i just tested it while writing this message...didn't happen to me, so
>> it's not elvis.  it must be one of the other two.
>
>  I've just had it happen with nvi, but not vim.  I'd say it was a
>bug.

It's a bug in the termcap or terminfo file. Well really the bug
is in the applications, but it shows up when your termcap file
has both "insert mode" and "insert character" defined. Since
insert mode isn't really used much, that one should be deleted
I think. Have you tried the latest termcap / terminof master file?

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |