Re: A bug in recognizing SCSI only HDD

> I have a single 2.1 GB SCSI2 hdd and the kernel does not
> recognize the ext2 fs in sda while previous versions did.

Does it allow you to open /dev/sda at all, or does it not recognize
the device? Do you have a BusLogic controller - that was left out of
the kernel by accident.

> It also recognize the first IDE cdrom as HDD and it askes me
> to partition it.

Hm. I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm assuming that IDE CDs and
IDE HDs are both attached as /dev/hd[a-d]. Does anyone know a software
way to distinguish an IDE CD from an IDE HD at the user level? I can
call the HDIO_GET_IDENTITY ioctl but don't see any bits in there that
say this is a CD. I can look for an ISO filesystem, but this is not
definitive. I can try to _write_ the drive to test if it's writable,
but would prefer not to.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184,849,036 domestic, $117.5M overseas and counting.