Re: email fraud

>I received this piece of junk on my student account (I'm subscribed to
>the Debian-user list from my work account) so I don't think they got
>names through this list.

I have gotten messages from several others on Debian saying they received
the message.  Maybe he has just gotten random email address from some place.

>How do you know the name of the sender has been
>altered?  I sent nasty replies to postmaster@msn.com and to the sender
>(or possibly fake sender).  One of the messages got bounced back, but I
>didn't take the time to look at it closely to see which one or why.

The header was very suspiciously incomplete, and I've seen fake mailings
before and they looked very similar, such as saying "Apparently-To:" instead
of "To:".  What I should have said is that it was clearly doctored, but in
what way I'm not sure.

>Gerry
>gerry@blue.intele.net

Steve