Re: New Markets

In article <[🔎] m0uBD5F-00063bC@mongo.pixar.com>,
Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com> wrote:
>> e.g. give 1.2 a code name, say "fred".  make a fred/ directory, and unstable
>> is a sym link to it.  when 1.2 is released, make a sym link from debian-1.2
>> to fred/, and come up with a code name for 1.3 and repeat the process.
>> Is that what's planned?
>
>You can invert this - create "fred" a few days before the release and leave
>unstable in place for continuing development.

No, that's different. If you create an _extra_ directory that means
I have to mirror an extra 200-300 Mb. We don't have the diskspace
nor the bandwidth for that. Remeber that in other parts of the
world lots of systems are connected through 28k8, 64 and 128K links!
(that are already overloaded). And as I said at the moment diskspace
is a concern as well.

It has always annoyed me that during development unstable (then 1.0)
was a copy of 0.96R6 - why not just symlinks if the packages are
the same? Or even hard links?

>Carl Streeter gets to make the final decision about how this will happen.
>However, I expect it will look something like the above, and will be
>announced in advance of the change.

Yeah I'll leave it up to you to decide what needs to be done. Discussing
this to death will only delay the release of 1.1 and that is the last
thing we want, I think. But we should consider alternate strategies for
1.2 (I do not want a copy of 0.93R6, 1.1 and 1.2 on my disk esp. when
1.2 is still for 99% a plain copy of 1.1).

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |