Re: Connection via modem

John T. Larkin wrote:

> from home, you'd have to go with ether PPP or SLIP.  PPP is a newer
> and better implemented protocol.  With PPP, you'll also be able to do
> things like use netscape from your home machine to browse the web, or
> display x-windows applications over the modem (this can be S L O W).
> PPP is more difficult to set up, but you get more out of it.

I was not aware that either one of PPP or SLIP had a significant
advantage over the other in either network performance or ease of use.
(I do know, though, that all those things can be done with SLIP.)  I
got this impression from a comparison of the two protocols at:

http://www.morningstar.com/MorningStar/slip-ppp-compare.html

The quick summary:
"Based on both analytical calculation and empirical measurements,
there's no performance difference between PPP and SLIP that can be
attributed to the difference between the two encapsulation schemes.

Differences in the host computers' serial IO capabilities,
modems, and even the quality of the protocol implementations are far
more significant than the differences between the protocols."

This is now a year old and it was tested using Suns.  Does anybody
know if this is true for Linux implemetations and architectures?

Thanks,
Keith

--
// Keith Beattie                  Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) \\
// SFSU Grad Student   Imaging and Distributed Computing Group (ITG) \\