Re: Floppy X

> I'd like put in an argument against including X on the base
> distribution. Whether or not it would make the installation any easier
> (I'm not convinced that it would) I don't think that X should be a
> required part of a Debian installation.

X is not going to appear on the base disks. As far as I can tell, Jong is
the only one in favour.

> I could see moving some of the X
> packages up to standard priority, but I argue against moving them up
> higher than that (except Xlib which is important priority since some
> non-X packages depend on it).

The X packages are going to stay at the priority they have at the moment
until dselect is changed to allow installation by sections (eg. 'I want a
system with X but without games'). This might happen in time for 1.2.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk