Re: bigger, sexier, more phly debian...

Stephen Early wrote:

> There is no technical problem with creating a library with all the
> commonly needed user interface elements in it. The problem is a political
> one: persuading everybody to use it. Micro$oft managed it by introducing
> a system that wasn't compatible with anything that already existed, and
> constrained people to use the user interface elements that they had
> created. Over the next few years, people gradually worked out ways of
> putting their own user interface back into Windows (snazzy buttons, extra
> types of list box, shadow/relief boxes, 'embossed' windows, etc.)

Apple's approach was similar, and I understand that in order to write for the
Mac you have to conform to their interface standards.  But, I would not
consider that a role model to emulate.

> Looks like people inventing their own user interfaces is a fact of life.
> I don't like it, but I don't think there's much we can do about it other
> than completely closing the development process, which won't work.

I don't really see the problem.  Chaq'on a son gout.

--

David L. Johnson         		dlj0@lehigh.edu, dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics		http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html