Re: New Markets

[bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)]

|   Ian Jackson has published proposals for a source packaging format
|   that makes it possible to distribute untouched sources.

Good news :-)

|   However, getting the 1.1 release out took priority over changing the
|   source packaging format.

Sorry, but I disagree -- but since Debian isn't my work, you may ignore
my opinion.

|   I don't see how this could make the source packages _simpler_
|   though.  Perhaps you could explain that?

Right now, if you want to fix a simple typo in your diff, you have to
submit:

    the diff
    the .deb
    and the re-packaged source (including the diff?)

and the mirrors have to fetch all the files again.  It's obvious that
the untouched source (e.g. emacs-19.30.tar.gz) should stay at debian.org
and its mirrors, while the package maintainer only submits

    emacs-19.30-1.diff
    emacs-19.30-1.deb

    emacs-19.30-2.diff
    emacs-19.30-2.deb

and so on; there is no need also to transfer emacs-19.30-1.tar.gz,
emacs-19.30-2.tar.gz, etc.  Whoever wants to compile the package will be
skilled enough to do

    tar zxf $SRC/emacs-19.30.tar.gz
    cd emacs-19.30
    patch -s -p1 < emacs-19.30-1.diff

or let dpkg figure out where is what and then start the compilation
(like pms (BOGUS) or rmp (RedHat)).

|   Even if we make it possible to make the .deb file without becoming
|   root, you will still have to become root to install it. Do you
|   understand the need for that?

Sure, but while dealing with scripts (= making a Debian package) I don't
like to be root; theoretically and philosophically it isn't necessary.
BTW I can imagine situations where a user at a german university feels
the need to install a package for his own (in ~/bin), while the admin
refuses to do it.

|   By the way, not participating in a project because you don't like
|   something about it is a good way to assure that what you don't like
|   will not change.

Yes, but it's not good to do something from which you know it is wrong.
Better stop it now.  But be sure, I respect your work.  I am the last,
who does not recommend to use Debian!  And I'm really pleased to hear,
that the format is modified as we dicussed last year.  This could have
been done earlier.

Karl