Re: New Markets

M> 1) Distributors like it if there is a way to tell one version from
M> another, and it makes it easier for them to present this
M> information to potential consumers if there are some sort of
M> concrete numbers.

This is more or less what I was going to say.  As much as I hate to
admit it, there is probably a large contigent of the population that
would only be comfortable with Debian if we have some kind of
(potentially artificial) version numbering scheme.

The evolving system should still be available, though, for those that
want it, and I think that after the ELF transition, we definitely want
there to be a shorter period of time between the release of a new
version of a package, and when it makes it to "stable".

Assuming that we continue to have version releases, how do we plan to
handle packages that are improved between releases?  Say a new, much
improved, more stable version of GIMP comes out a few days after a
Debian version is released, and I upgrade my package.  Will it have to
wait until the next Debian release to get moved from unstable to
stable?

--
Rob