Replacing svgalib -- how?

I'm trying to replace svgalib-1.2.8 with svgalib-1.2.9

I'm running debian 0.93R6

I grabbed the source for 1.2.9 and applied the same diffs as were applied to
1.2.8 to make the debain package. I edited the debian.rules file to change the
version to 1.29-0, and then created the .deb package. So far so good.

So, what's the command to actually install the thing? I tried

dpkg -i svgalib-1.29-0.deb /

which (I think) has worked for me before. However, it fails with an error from
dpkg-split about / being a directory and not a file.

So, I tried dropping svgalib-1.29-0.deb into my mirror of
debian/stable/binary/graphics, and used dselect. It got unpacked ok, but now
configuring is failing with the message:

Must specify -r or -w.
dpkg: error processing svgalib (--configure):
 svgalib

dpkg --configure returned error exit status 1.

Can anyone help me with this mess?

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
   - Albert Einstein