Re: Daylight Savings Time problem

> On 9 Apr 1996, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > gerry@blue.intele.net (Gerry Jensen)  wrote on 08.04.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.91.960408114136.18571A-100000@blue.intele.net>:
> >
> > I don't know about the US timezones, but the European ones have a nifty
> > method for finding the right one: there's a directory Europe, below which
> > you find some well-known cities. You usually pick one you know has the
> > same zone as you.
>
> It's just the same for Latin America.  Usually, this part of the world is
> considered a forgotten corner by almost every software package, but Debian
> 0.93 offered my a well configured Bogota (Colombia) time zone.  Really
> nice!

So what you are saying is that for once, the US gets shortchanged?

Actually, in response to this thread, I poked around a little...

Could the /usr/lib/zoneinfo hierarchy be cleaned up some?  There seems
to be at least three similar hierarchies under there
(/usr/lib/zoneinfo, .../posix, .../right), heirarchies for each
continent (with major cities as entries), for a few specific countries
(US, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Mexico), entries for a few countries (Cuba,
Egypt, Eire, and so on) (what/where is Kwajalein?),  and several
timezones by abbreviation (what is the difference between GMT, GMT+0,
GMT-0, and GMT0?).

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"She was infatuated with their male prostitutes, whose members were