Problems with nvi

Hello.  I'm running a mostly elf debian box (gotta have gcc-2.7.2, and
emacs 19.30) and having a couple of bizarre problems.

I'm using nvi 1.34-12 with curses 3.0, and SOMETIMES when I remotely
login into a debian box, nvi core dumps.  That is, if it core dumps
once, it will ALWAYS core dump for that login.  Other times, I can run
nvi remotely no problem.

The other weird problem I have is that some of the users on the same
system ALWAYS get 0x7f's in their documents when they type backspaces.
Is this related to all of the other backspace weirdness I've been
seeing ever since I started with Linux?  (I have _never_ seen
backspace work "out of the box" on elm subject lines for Slackware, or
Debian.  I haven't tried it on Red Hat.)  I do realize this could be
configuration problem on my end.

Thanks for any help.
Dale