Re: filenames starting with tilde character

John Eldredge wrote:

> How does Debian LINUX react if it encounters a filename starting
> with a tilde character '~'?  On the SCO UNIX system at work, a
> MS-DOS program accessing the UNIX filesystem via NFS created
> several temporary files which started with the tilde character
> (which seems to be a standard practice under MS-DOS).  UNIX
> programs trying to read the directory containing these files
> would freeze up so thoroughly that even 'kill -9' wouldn't kill
> the processes; they only went away once the system was rebooted.
>  I was told by someone that this is a known bug in UNIX.  I

You should think twice about this "someone"'s credibility!

I've never encountered untoward problems with ~'s, and have used unix...
enough that I would have encountered such trouble, were it common.

Note that you may need to _escape_ the ~ in _some_contexts_, tho -
because it has a special meaning.  Sometimes "\~" will work better than
"~" alone.

> haven't had the nerve to test this under LINUX, since I finally
> had to use the 'clri' command to clear out the inodes associated
> with the files, then use 'fsck' to recover the disk space.  If
> LINUX allows a non-LINUX computer to create such files via NFS,
> it could have the same vunerability as SCO UNIX.

I don't know how to say this gently, while still getting the point
across.

Using clri to fix this problem, is quite literally like using a pile
driver to drive a nail.

If you simply want to remove such a file, try "rm ./~foo" or "rm \~foo".

All indications are that this is not a problem in Linux =or= SCO, but
that there's a problem with the source of your information.