Re: filenames starting with tilde character

John Eldredge wrote:

> How does Debian LINUX react if it encounters a filename starting
> with a tilde character '~'?

No problem:

23:41:42 /home/dlj0/notes >touch "~hello"
23:41:50 /home/dlj0/notes >dir
total 2172
[skip a few]
-rw-r--r--   1 dlj0     users           0 Apr 11 23:41 ~hello

>  UNIX
> programs trying to read the directory containing these files
> would freeze up so thoroughly that even 'kill -9' wouldn't kill
> the processes; they only went away once the system was rebooted.
>  I was told by someone that this is a known bug in UNIX.

Maybe this was a problem in SCO, but I've never seen it in linux, and
both my old slackware laptop and new debian desktop have no trouble with
it, as you can see.

> haven't had the nerve to test this under LINUX, since I finally
> had to use the 'clri' command to clear out the inodes associated
> with the files, then use 'fsck' to recover the disk space.

Eiuww.  Messy.

If
> LINUX allows a non-LINUX computer to create such files via NFS,
> it could have the same vunerability as SCO UNIX.

I don't think it's a problem.  emacs and a number of other editors
create even weirder temp backup filenames, with no problem.

--

David L. Johnson         		dlj0@lehigh.edu, dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics		http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html