help--> lpr: :copy file is too large

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with lpr in a networked environment.  I have
one Dell PC, with 32 megs ram, running debian 0.93R6.  The kernel is
1.2.13, stock source, with the the apple-talk patches for that kernel
version compiled in.  Whenever anyone tries to print using netscape
(version 1.1, 1.12, or 2.01) from the console, if the resulting file is
over 1 megabyte, Netscape produces the error

  lpr: :copy file is too large

If the page is printed to a file, which is then printed with lpr, the
error is the same, except it includes the name of the file between the
two colons.

This happens with any files (not just those produced by Netscape) that
are over one megabyte in size.

The printcap does nothing but call a filter to pass the file to an
apple-talk interpreter, which sends to a postscript filter.

I can manually invoke the filter and send files of any size to the
printer.  So, the error is generated either in lpr or in lpd.

Has anybody experienced this before?  Is there a fix?  I checked the both
printing how-to's, but didn't see any mention of this error.

Chris Stromsoe
--
cusgcbs@magni.oac.ucla.edu