Re: Installation help

Bruce Perens wrote:

> > It would be _nice_ to be able to install from a
> > hard drive partition.
>
> The next boot floppy will look for a base_1_1.tgz gzipped tar file
> and install from it if it finds it. If it is in the top directory
> of a mounted partition it will find it automaticaly. This is mostly
> to avoid one question when using a CD-ROM root or disk-cartrige root.

Good idea.

> The new boot floppies install MBR and LILO. If you hold down shift when
> booting you will see a prompt like "1234F: " with a number for each bootable
> partition on your first drive. That will boot the partition you activate
> using DOS "fdisk" or Linux "fdisk" or "activate". It also gives you a
> second chance to boot from floppy by pressing "F", just in case you have
> BIOS set up to boot from the hard disk always.

I guess I'd have to see that.  It sounds confusing.  Would it cause me
trouble if I wanted my bootable partition to be on /dev/hdb1, which is a
slave drive, but using the MBR of /dev/dha.  That's what I do now.

--

David L. Johnson         		dlj0@lehigh.edu, dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics		http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html