Re: GCC 2.7/Debian Packages/Non ELF

"mm" == Martin Alonso Soto Jacome <masoto@uniandes.edu.co> writes:

mm> On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Marcelo Magallon wrote:

  >> The problem is I *NEED* GCC 2.7.x... I can fetch the source code from the
  >> debian unstable source tree, but I'd really like to compile it as a
  >> package in order to be able to install it using dpkg, so dpkg will know
  >> GCC is installed, so it won't barf about dependencies et al.

mm> I have right the same problem.  It seems to me that some of us, still
mm> using 0.93 for stability reasons but needing recent packages like gcc
mm> 2.7.x or tcl 7.4/tk 4.0, could try to build and publish a.out based
mm> versions of them, just to make easier the transition between 0.93 and 1.1.
mm> Unfortunately I don't know the exact method to do that (compile a package
mm> configured for elf to generate a.out) out from the source code, but I've
mm> heard it is possible.  Some feedback on the subject would be really useful
mm> as a starting point.

   I might be interested in trying this if it is not impossible.

   Is it?

   A lot happened between libc4 and libc5.

-- <bhogan@rahul.net> --

My ability to compile my own compiler on my own computer is to my
freedom of programming what my ability to speak to whomsoever is
willing to listen to me is to my freedom of speech.