LaTeX: how to add fonts

Hi,

I've been trying to get additional fonts (for example, the klinz.mf (klingon)
font) working with LaTeX, but didn't succeed.

What I have found out and done so far:
1. /usr/lib/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf is the config file in which font paths
   and such are defined. The unmodified version already has support for
   fonts under /usr/local/lib/texmf/...
2. the new fonts have been installed there.
3. The new fonts are found by plain tex, when testing with the 'testfont.tex'
   file.

Now my problem is how to get LaTeX to recognize them. Do I need a '.fd' file?
If so, how do I contstruct one. If not, how do I tell LaTeX about them?
Does anyone have a demo .tex file for it?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch