Re: Integrating local changes

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Michael Shields wrote:

> Of course I will, but there are at least two cases where I'd want to
> override a standard package with a local one:
> Apparently to replace a single file I can "redirect" the old one, but this
> means that the replacement cannot be under dpkg control.

>From the file /debian/doc/package-developer/dpkg-disappear-replace.txt

  1. When a package is installed, and contains files that are already
  marked as belonging to some other package, the older package will have
  the files that have been overwritten removed from its file list.

Let's say you want to replace the standard login from miscutils with
your own that uses skey.

1. Make a package called skeylogin.deb with your login program.
2. Install it.
3. Set up a diversion so new versions of miscutils install login to
   plainlogin.

Now you can freely upgrade miscutils and skeylogin.  dpkg rocks!

Guy