Re: xconsole messages

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Dale Miller wrote:
> I am trying to get messages to appear on the xconsole under
> xdm. I have altered syslog.conf and the xdm startup files.
> Still noe messages. Is this in a FAQ somewhere because I
> can't find it. Any help getting xconsole to spew messages
> would be appreciated.

1) Have a line like this in your syslog.conf:
auth.*;daemon.*;mail.*;news.crit;news.err;news.notice;*.=debug;*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;cron.none      |/dev/xconsole
The '|' is the imporant character.  It tells syslogd that the file is a fifo.

2) Make the fifo like this (as root):
mkfifo -m 644 /dev/xconsole

3) Run xconsole like this:
xconsole -file /dev/xconsole

It should work beautifully.  What you may be missing is step 2.  That's
documented in the syslog.conf man pages.

Guy