Re: errors mounting cd...

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Eloy F. Macha wrote:

>  just wondering if anyone has seen this before. I have a SB16 card, and
> connected is a cd200 cd (2x).
>
> intermittently (once a week, at least) when i try to mount the cd i get
> these errors reported in syslog:
>
> Feb 28 13:33:02 peru kernel: sbpcd-0 [11]:  DiskInfo: ReadCapacity #1 returns -7
> Feb 28 13:33:08 peru kernel: sbpcd-0 [12]:  DiskInfo: ReadCapacity #2 returns -7

...etc.   (Apology for long line length.)

This generally happens when you try to access the CD-ROM drive while it
is still reading the table of contents of the CD. If you wait until the
light on the drive has gone out before entering the 'mount' command, you
should be able to avoid this.

(My drive is a Panasonic CD-562. I don't know whether it's functionally
identical to yours, although it needs the same driver. What I wrote above
could quite easily be completely incorrect.)

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk