Re: Suggestions Needed

Nick previously asked for advice on installing Debian on a laptop
computer...

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 maggio@oapa.astropa.unipa.it wrote:

> Your question is quite broad you know ...

Yes I guess it was.

> The answer depends a lot on details on the system configuration
> you want to achieve. In any case, unless you are already able to master
> Linux fluently, its installation is surely exciting, but it is not
> something which could be carried out in just one weekend, so take it easy.

I've been using Linux since an old SLS distribution some 2 years ago, and
have been using UNIX for about 10 years.  And yes, I've had lot's of
excitement with it. ;-)

> Then, just to start with:
> Do you intend to run just Linux on your laptop or also some other
> operating system (DOS, Windows, OS/2) ?

I've got a 1.3 Gig drive on my portable with DOS on one partition, QNX (a
real-time version of UNIX) on a second partition and have about 450 MBytes
set aside for Linux.  Unfortunately, I don't have a CD-ROM for my laptop
yet, so I'll need to install via floppies - at least until I install
enough packages so I can get a modem link and continue over a PPP or SLIP
connection - or I could just use minicom and sz to bring packages over one
by one and then install them... or...

What I'm looking for is some advice on what would be the easiest way of
doing a reasonably full install - perhaps from someone who has already
been there and done it.

> My next suggestion is to give a look, if you have a WWW browser available,
> to the following URLs
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/ The Linux Laptop Homepage
> http://www.castle.net/~darin/index_linux.html        X Windows and Linux on
>                                                      Notebook Computers

Thanks for the pointers!  I'll browse them tomorrow morning.

Best regards,

                                     Nick

Nick Busigin                                                nick@xwing.org