Re: XV

"BH" == Bill Hogan <bhogan> writes:

  BH> "DG" == Doug Geiger <runexe@ntplx.net> writes:
  DG> I just installed the xv package in debian/non-free, but it's complaining
  DG> about libX11.so.6, I checked /usr/X11R6/lib, and it's a link to libX11.so.6.0
  DG> does XV just not like the link, or is the the library? I'm using
  DG> Debian-0.93R6. Any suggestions?

  BH> xv-3.10a-2.deb is an ELF binary.

  BH> If you want to run an ELF binary an otherwise non-ELF Debian-0.93R6
  BH> setup, you need (at minimum) three things:

  BH> 1. a kernel compiled with `CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y '

  BH> 2. install ldso.1.7.14-1.deb (or later?)

  BH> 3. any ELF DLL's required by the ELF binary you want to run.

  [...]

   Oops.

   I should have said you could also recompile the <<Debianized XV
*sources*>> which, thanks to Mr Jim Robinson, you can find in
debian/non-free/source/'.

  This is what I did because, although the xv-3.10a-2.deb ELF binary
seems to work OK with using the tricks I proposed, when I asked it to
read a Postscript file I got message something like

`exec error: /usr/bin/gs : can't exec /G/Elf/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6'

   Evidently, the wrapper trick I used to make xv-ELF look at
LD_LIBRARY_PATH has the side-effect of preventing the spawned(?) `gs'
process from finding the a.out DLL's it needs.

   But I am glad this prompted me to try to compile the <<Debianized
XV *sources*>> because as soon as I found out xv-3.10a-2.deb was an
ELF binary, I got into a mind-set like "Oh, oh, that's an ELF binary
so those must be ELF sources so they probably won't comple on my
Debian a.out setup."

   All things considered, I find the fact that the <<Debianized XV
*sources*>> compiled _absolutely_ straight out of the package on my
Debian-0.93R6 (a.out) setup to be really awesome.

   Bill

--
<bhogan@rahul.net>
<HTML> <BODY link="#00FFFF" vlink="#FF00FF">