Re: stable vs unstable

stevem writes:

> After reading a post for netscape.deb being added to the debian packages
> I thought I would get it and clean up my netscape files. However, it wasn't
> in the stable directory, but instead in the unstable. I'm curious as to
> what the philosophy is as to where packages are put.

Anything which is an ELF binary goes into unstable.  Anything which provides
"new functionality" goes into unstable.  Anything unknown goes into unstable.
That said, about the only thing going into stable at this point are a.out
releases that fix bugs.

> Would the stable
> directory be more aptly called "static"?

Almost...

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert