stable vs unstable

After reading a post for netscape.deb being added to the debian packages
I thought I would get it and clean up my netscape files. However, it wasn't
in the stable directory, but instead in the unstable. I'm curious as to
what the philosophy is as to where packages are put.

I am leary about taking things out of the unstable directory as I am not
prepared to deal with ELF yet. Soooo, what about us slowpokes that are still
using only  a.out? Does stable only contain "frozen" packages? Would the stable
directory be more aptly called "static"?

Thanks,

 Steve M.