Hot software (sorry) and Debian 0.93R6

Hi all,

I was running 0.91 (only upgraded to 1.0.9) for 2 years now and used
the purchase of a new HD as a possibility to install the current stable
debian (.93R6) on it.

The installation really ran fine and I'm impressed by Debian.

I'm still doing all my mission critical (master thesis...) on the
old system, but I'm itching to try all these new and spiffy software
for which my old system is far too ancient.

It looks to my like .93R6 isn't new enough to run some of the hot
stuff out there like perl 5 with the TK extensions, Java,
gcc 2.7 (I need it for an advanced C++ package), python with dynamic loading,
as these things tend to be a real hassle with a.out.

So, what do you think: Should I invest time in getting .93R6 set up
in all respects or should I simply wait for a stable ELF release
and continue to use my old setup ? I really don't want to upgrade
twice in the near future.

Or is there a painless way to get a elf 2.7 gcc + libs on a 0.93R6 system ?
I don't mind running a mixed system as I'm far from being short on RAM.

otmar
--
/ Otmar Lendl (lendl@cosy.sbg.ac.at) # http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~lendl/  \
\ Killfiles generate SEP fields. Beware: the CE-Norm does not cover them. /