Suggestions Needed

Hello everybody,
I'm quite happily running (stable) Debian/Linux on a 486DX4-100 laptop,
thanks to patient reading of docs and mailing list messages.

At the moment I just need some suggestions maily related to installation
details:

1- I've installed kernel support for several modules, including some
   I don't really need. How do I avoid these extra modules from being
   loaded at boot time ? Shall I just delete them from the list in
   /etc/modules (if I remember correctly) ?

2- As for network support, I just need PPP, not SLIP (although the SLIP
   module is needed eventually to run diald, I understand).
   After several unsuccessful attempts and some (hard) reading of messages
   on this mailing list, I realized that at boot time only
   the SLIP devices are configured (cat /proc/net/dev shows only sl0, ..., sl4),
   and that the script "ppp" in /etc/inet.d should be edited to change
   a 0 to 1, in order to have ppp activated (IMHO this info should be
   made easier to find ...). At the end, I got ONE device (ppp0) which
   allowed me to run pppd successfully. Now, how do I get rid of the four SLIP
   devices I don't need ? Why I got only one PPP device, instead of 4 ?
   (Although it's not clear to me if I need the other three devices ...).

3- In order to use the modem I've to load the PCMCIA card manager daemon.
   In the docs, they suggest to put "rc.pcmcia start" in rc.M, but I understand
   this is the default init setup under Slackware. Debian/Linux has a more
   complex setup (rc0.d, rc1.d, ..., rc6.d), and other docs suggest to query
   Ian Murdock in order to add other init scripts. So, the question:
   what is the proper way to fire up PCMCIA daemons in Debian/Linux ?
   I will have a similar problem, I guess, when I will rebuild the kernel
   to support Advanced Power Management: where and how is better to
   start the apm daemon ?

4- I understand that diald doesn't work with cua? devices, but only with
   ttyS? ones. My PCMCIA card manager (by Dave Hinds) dynamically links
   /dev/modem to the first /dev/cua? available. Is there anyone which already
   solved this problem, i.e. use of diald with PCMCIA modems ?

5- Finally, one suggestion I would like to give to developers:
   In order to have my PS/2 busmouse working, I had to manually create
   the /dev/psaux device (hinted at by the Busmouse.howto). Why this device
   is not part of the standard setup ?

Sorry for the length of this message. I hope this may also help other users
of Debian/Linux on laptops.

Thanks in advance to everybody for any help

Antonio Maggio