Re: Text fields

>> When I run a program in X with a text field, I can't backspace, tab, etc.
>>
>> Netscape complains about a bunch of missing key definitions, for example.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>I pretty much gave up getting Delete to delete to the right, but I
>understand most of the stuff is accomplishable via .xmodmap files, there is
>a personal and a global one I think.

If you install Netscape with the Debian Netscape package I built, it works
correctly.

>Netscape has a README about this with the version(s) I got.  You need to
>create a directory structure /usr/X386/lib/nls or something and move a
>couple files there (or set an enviro string).

Actually, all you need to do is set some env var to point to the X11R6 version
and it works.  The install program mentioned above actually fixes this in
a better way.

>Also, you need to move the XKeysymDB that came with Netscrape over your old
>one.  This seems odd to me, but it gets rid of the messages.

Not strictly necessary.  In fact, the XKeysymDB that comes with
Netscape is less complete than the one that comes with X11R6.
Netscape just didn't know how to find the R6 one.

>Of course, Netscape crashes a lot anyway :)

Yup.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )