Re: Relative symbolic links to standard places

From: richard@uk.geeks.org
> Having relative symlinks has its advantages - it means that if you
> mount your system on somewhere funny (and I've been in positions where
> I've done this) then all the symlinks point to the right place (if
> they did in the first place); use absolute symlinks and that wouldn't
> work.

This is a very important point, and is IMHO the main reason that all
symlinks are relative.  On my machines, we have everything fully
cross-mounted under /net, so that if I want a file /usr/lib/foo from
machine janus I can refer to it as /net/janus/usr/lib/foo.  Absolute
symlinks would absolutely destroy this.

Bill Gribble