Re: Why am I getting these messages?

I have exactly the same problem. The reason is I changed the access right to
the /var directory. It's funny but now I can't remember what was the
previous proper state of things. I did it wanting to protect server I'm
running against non-authorised reading of different system logs (containing
between others failed attempts of logins) and I protected much more then I
wanted. So, could somebody send the proper, original values of ownership and
access rights to the /var and its subdirectores. I'm sure, that it'll help
also in Bill Hogan's matter. Thanks.

          Jerzy Kakol

   Institute of Microbiology
       Wroclaw University