dpkg-ftp

Sorry if this has been answered recently, I lost my /var/spool file a few
days ago.

I have been having some problems with dpkg-ftp.  My current version is
listed as 1.3.1 and no revision number.  When I go to 'update' it complains
that it can't get Packages.gz.  I rewrote the script to get "Packages"
instead and disabled the gunzip.  Now it can get the file.

When I do an install, however, it gives me an error:
-------------------
Calculating packages to get...
/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/install: [:
binary/./ms-dos/base/../../binary/base/adduser-1.94-3.deb: binary operator
expected
want package: adduser-1.94-3.deb
dirname: too many arguments
Try 'dirname --help' for more information.
mkdir: too few arguments
Try 'mkdir --help' for more information.
-------------------

Is there a patch for this?  Am I using an old version?  I don't understand
bash well enough to see what is going wrong.

I am using ftp.microworld.net and /debian/stable/binary.

I also have tried using /debian.  I can't seem to get around the above
error.  Any ideas?

_____Running_Debian_Linux__(stable)__version_1.2.13___________________
                                                                      \
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist |
the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  -- H.L. Mencken          |
                                                                Kevin Bealer
Q: Would you like to see the WINE list?                       kmb203@psu.edu