HEELLPPP!!

I've got a _weird_ problem installing Debian GNU/Linux (0.93R6) on one
of my machines.  I just got a 486dx2 66 VLB machine, and I want to use
it for our Usenet news server and secondary DNS.  I haven't installed
anything else on it.

It has 2 1-gig IDE hardrives on it, and I are using a DTC 2277VL Vesa
Local Bus to IDE cacheing controller.  The controller has 4 1x9 meg
simms on it (which I are pretty sure are good since I pulled them out
of a working machine).  The machine boots up just fine, and I can
partition the drives without any problem.  But whenever I run mke2fs
on any of the partitions, I get a seg fault!

Does anybody have any idea what could cause this problem?  I won't
rule out the motherboard or drives being flaky, since the scum who
sold us several machines turned out to be a real sleaze -- but is
there any way I can pinpoint the problem?

Jim
P.S. They have been low-level formated at the factory, should I try
     using the low-level utility on the controller card?