Date: 	Mon, 5 Feb 1996 00:48:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Thomas Pawlikaniec <neutrino@ee.mcgill.ca>
To: Andreas Kostyrka <andreas@medman.ag.or.at>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: is it the right CPU?
Sender: owner-linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu

On Sat, 3 Feb 1996, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> for DP support. Funny thing is, that these chips don't run stable at 120MHz,
> but are fine for 90MHz :((((
> I'll have to visit today the hardware dealer and argue with him. (I bought

Well, it looks like you got some of those over-clocked chips sold by
humm-hummm dealers that want to make big $$$ on your back. It's
relatively easy to buy P5-90 and re-stamp them with some other speed,
usually 100 or 120. Same for 75 -> 90 or sometimes even 100 MHz.

Note: this over-clocking is supposed not to work on the latest chips from
intel, where some hardware mechanism has been implemented to stop the
fraud... and the 'fun' of advanced users who started doing it quite
regularly lately (see comp.sys.intel newsgroup for more info...)

 Argue until you get REAL 120 MHZ parts. Good luck!

Thomas Pawlikaniec
.sig coming Real Soon Now !